Fwd: Hitchens on Kerrey

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sat May 5 05:59:00 PDT 2001

Rob Schaap:
> The White House and the General Staff stand equally condemned in both
> cases, but, whether Kerrey is personally guilty of a war crime or not, that
> pilot is certainly all the more, and all the more certainly, so.
>
> Am I missing anything here?

I think the interesting question is whether, as Christopher Caldwell thinks, the War in Vietnam is seen as evil by almost everybody. It is logical to think that it is, if the acts which it required are evil in everyone's sight, but people are not very logical. Hence the support for the war in Yugoslavia by people who should have known better, out of which the Novi Sad incident and other like it inevitably sprang. The focus on unusual individual acts allows the policies of war to go forward unhindered; that is why most of Congress voted for the War in Colombia, just as they voted for the War in Yugoslavia and the War in Vietnam. The connection between war and atrocity is blanked out.