Bookchin v. "lifesyle anarchism" (was Re: MSOFT versus Open Source movement)

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Sat May 5 09:05:04 PDT 2001

Chuck0 writes:

> Bookchin thought he was firing a machine gun with that book, but he
> ended up
> firing blanks. His book, Social Anarchism or Lifestyle Anarchism,
> was one of the
> worst books I have ever read,

And for any of you who would like to read it yourselves:

Social Anarchism or Lifestyle Anarchism: An Unbridgeable Chasm By Murray Bookchin

http://www.spunk.org/library/writers/bookchin/sp001512/

> In old Murray's world, "lifestyle anarchism" includes all of
> his critics
> over the years, ranging from primitivists, Earth First! folks,

That's something I would count in Murray's favor. Those are deserving targets that have fallen into the sights of our politically astute listmaster as well. Is it that Murray picks on EF! and the like that bothers you or is your concern semantic? I mean, "primitivists" and Earth First! aren't the modern inheritors of Bakunin's politics, are they?

> "Lifestyle anarchism" is mostly a myth anyway.

You must be kidding. Then, what *is* the appropriate anarchist term for, say, deciding that being a vegan, dancing in the streets, and doing AdBuster approved actions is the end all be all of contemporary anarchist politics?

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.