Lou Reed Dead/Albright

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed May 9 07:10:06 PDT 2001

Doug wondered:
> > Has Reed done anything interesting in
> > the last 20 years?

Leung, H Curtiss [IT]:
> Yes. He came out in favor of the death penalty for the mentally ill on the
> album he did w/Cale about Warhol:
>
> I believe life's serious enough for retribution
> I believe being sick is no excuse and -
> I believe I would've pulled the switch on her myself
>
> (from "I Believe", about Valerie Solanis)
>
> No wonder he's hanging around with Madeline Albright.

Yes, but there's a difference between clan vengeance and mass murder for professional gain. Lou, who may not be much of an abstract thinker, had something personal against Valerie; Madeleine and her master had nothing against the children of Iraq, they were merely in the way, and in addition they're supposed to have read history and philosophy and know what they're doing.