The PP of the Universe

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Wed May 9 07:37:03 PDT 2001

the Plastic People's First Album, I think just called The Plastic People of the Universe, released in the late 1970s, but some of which may have been from earlier--even the sixties (I'm not absolutely sure about all this, from memory of hazy times)--and which had a blackish darkish album sleeve, was a real classic. Some of it reminded me then and now of Captain Beefheart, with jazzy horn and woodwind over some driving bass and drums. Then in the early 80s (I believe) they came out with a purplish album that was not as inspiring musically, but the most notable (and disappointing) aspect for me was that it had strong christian messages to it.

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Pugliese [mailto:debsian at pacbell.net] Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 11:43 PM To: lbo Subject: Re: Lou Reed Dead/Albright

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=Charter+77+Plastic+People+ of+the+Universe+Havel+&spell=1

Peter gave the outlines. V. Havel and other dissidents in Czechoslovakia (from ex-Czech CP officials and intelligentsia, progressive Christians, Trots at the time [blanking on his name, now he is Czech rep. to OSCE, another Prague Spring neo-marxist, Karel Kovanda now liases with NATO]) founded Charter 77, in 1977, to agitate for the release of the avant "progressive rock"/jazzish group, Plastic People of the Universe. They had been thrown in prison. They played (still around, I saw them on tour) Zappa and Velvet Underground songs and original tunes. Michael Pugliese