World Congress defaced

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Wed May 9 22:21:12 PDT 2001

<fowarded>

Isn't it ironic? A site that professes to be the "hub for business and government leaders who are shaping the global Internet economy" is defaced: http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/2001/05/09/www.worldcongress.com/

Speakers at their congress have included such luminaries as Margaret Thatcher and Nelson Mandela. This is a prime example of the importance given to computer security. This site is intended to represent the people who shape Internet commerce and it falls victim to a simple defacement. What does this say for the regard given to security in e-commerce? Not much, apparently.

Even more ironic is that the defacer Nu|L (not to be confused with our Null, who is much more observant and regards web defacements with disdain) left a typically lame message that expressed the profound statement "geezus I must be fucking bored to be "hacking" an NT site.."

- The information and commentary is Copyright 2001, by the individual author. Permission is granted to quote, reprint or redistribute provided the text is not altered, and the author and attrition.org is credited. The opinions expressed in this mail are not necessarily the opinion of all Attrition staff members.

Commentary Archive: http://www.attrition.org/security/commentary/ The Attrition Mirror: http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/

</backwarded>