Just Wars

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu May 10 11:34:04 PDT 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Carrol Cox wrote:

> ...The problem with the theory of "Just War" is that it posits a
> metaphysical basis for the judgment of human actions. But since no
> such basis exists, it is (except for agitational purposes) wrong to
> call a war _either_ just or unjust.

But of course we judge human actions all the time, most of us having no trouble, for example, in deciding that Kerrey's actions in Vietnam were atrocious. To say that it's "wrong [presumably incorrect, not unjust] to call a war _either_ just or unjust," is to give up an apparently natural category that allows us to distinguish, e.g., between the actions of the Zapatistas and those of the Colombian paramilitaries. --CGE