Cherry pick

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 10 13:04:21 PDT 2001

[posted from non-sub'd address]

From: sawicky at epinet.org (Max Sawicky) Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 15:55:35 +0100

Advert for my bud Bob Cherry's latest book --

mbs

=================================

WHO GETS THE GOOD JOBS? COMBATING RACE AND GENDER DISPARITIES

What do liberals, moderates, and conservatives agree on: the importance of Robert Cherry's Who Gets the Good Jobs? Both affirmative action supporters and critics agree that the book advances our understanding of the issues that divide and those that unite all who seek a more equitable society. They applaud Cherry's efforts to balance the benefits of the free market with the role of government intervention.

Building on his more than twenty years of research and political activism, Cherry synthesis theoretical, historical, and cultural material to shed new light and reach new understandings as to why discriminatory barriers faced by women, African Americans, and immigrants were able to persist even when they conflicted with profitability measures. He demonstrates how one can use these insights to judge how far the country has come since the 1960s civil rights legislation was enacted, and how far it has to go to completely eliminate race and gender disparities. Most importantly, he provides political guideposts so that we can stay on the correct path and not be led astray by righteous indignation or comfortable complacency.

"If one could summarize the book in three words, they would be balanced, honest, and insightful. The book reads like a novel. The ending is not what you would expect. Cherry threads together the truths of neo-classical economics and alternative perspectives to weave a colorful picture of the labor market." Robin Bartlett, Denison University

"Cherry's book challenges both the left and right to rethink our approaches to reducing racial and gender disparities. Cherry attempts to outline a middle ground, one that recognizes the role of government without demonizing market forces. Although his views are not always in harmony with my own, I applaud his attempt to reinvigorate the discussion." Cecilia Conrad, Pomona University

Chapter 1 Deciding Who Gets The Good Jobs: The Nature of Labor Market Discrimination

Chapter 2 The Profit Motive: How It Can Benefit the Powerless

Chapter 3 It's Not Personal: When Hiring the Best Worker Isn't Profitable

Chapter 4 Race Before Class: Jim Crow Employment Practices

Chapter 5 Gender Before Class: Patriarchy, Capitalism, and Family

Chapter 6 The Immigration Controversy: Who Wins and Who Loses

Chapter 7 The Rising of Working Women: Race, Class, and Gender Matters

Chapter 8 Jobs for Black Men: Missing in Action

Chapter 9 Employment and Ownership Disparities: What Should the Government Do?

Chapter 10 New Harmony, Not Religious Wars: How to Promote Diversity at Elite Universities

Chapter 11 Setting Policy Priorities: What Works Best Politically