Why literature matters

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Thu May 10 07:45:49 PDT 2001

Carrol, Please go back and reread CULTURE AND ANARCHY. What you describe is there, but you will also find a strong critique of the values of unfettered capitalism, of what we would now call the religious right, and a defense of an activist government that works to improve the lives of the working classes. Also, part of what he decried was the disorganized upheaval of the fairly recently proletarianized. He has friendly things to say about other aspects of working class life, including some that culturally formed the base of a stable and well-organized English trade-union movement.

In some ways, Arnold, in 1969, was a kind of proto-Fabian, more than a reactionary. The conservatives know him no better than you seem to. Not to glorify him, but his discussions of issues are interesting and more useful to us than you think.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema