Keynes Question

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Fri May 11 09:29:08 PDT 2001

Hey Rob,

Have you seen Robert Wade and Frank Veneroso's pieces in NLR 228 and 231? Among other things, they bascially make both of these points, though whether the IMF is austere or munificent depends on your point of view. They argue that the IMF's insistence on capital account liberalization led to the torrential inflows of short-term debt in the cases of South Korea, Thailand, etc. Critics see this, combined with their promise to act as lender of last resort, as an invitation for a speculative carnival. During clean-up, the IMF has had a tendency to treat financial crises as if they were crises of excess demand, so their solutions tend to make local debtors suffer and international lenders off the hook. John Eatwell and Lance Taylor have a good take on the role of lender of last resort (both nat'l and int'l)--and a good explanation of crisis theory--in their book, _Global Finance at Risk_.

All best Christian