doctor disease

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri May 11 21:14:58 PDT 2001

Actually the last witchcraft prosecution in England was in 1944--I am not making this up. HLA Hart cites to the case to make some other point in The Concept of Law. The "witch" was prosecuted for fortune telling, though. The Witchcraft Act was repealed after her conviction. But W is right that the last great witch-craze was in roughly 1550-1660, with cases tapering down into the early 18th century. By 1720 or so, in Western Europe, one couldn't get a conviction, although the statutes remained on the books in some cases for two more centuries. W is also right that modern scientific medicine is a 19th century invention, starts with Venner and Semmelweis, gets going with Pasteur. However, JB is right that there is some sort of hard to understand association between witch-hunting, the rise of modern science, and capitalism. These all took off in the same time and places. Bryan Easlea has a good book on Witch Hunting and the New Philosophy, about 20 years old. Peter Linebaugh and his co-author have an intersting speculation in their new The Many Headed Hydra that the connection has to do with the capitslist appropriation of all claims to authority, thus the repression of women's traditional knowledge. The MHH is a great book, everyone on this list should read it. --jks