RES: doctor disease

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Sat May 12 09:24:41 PDT 2001

My observations of doctors in an emergency room trying to figure out what's wrong with somebody parallel Alexandre's. Illness is frequently subtle, and the pressures he describes in a less advanced country are present here too, even in a large urban teaching hospital. Notice that he is critical of medical training, and points to ways it needs to adapt to changing reality.

Some of what people object ot about doctors comes from a feeling that they ought to be like shamans. This feeling affects many, usually unconsciously, and, unfortunately, some doctors feed into it. Since part of what I see as my job is to help physicians in training develop some psychosocial sense of their patients, over and above their medical understanding, I try to help them understand that she short-term glow of approbation when they accomplish, quickly and easily, something good is only part of what medical practice is about. And that they need to consider clarification to the patient as part of their responsibility too. In other words, they should explain and not just cure, because in the future some other doctor may encounter the same patient with a new problem not so susceptible to rapid resolution. If the patient then hasn't learned that successful diagnosis and treatment are more than just derivatives of the doctor's personal genius, then s/he may simply blame the doctor for the awkwardness of the process of diagnosing and treating the blue leg.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema