The End of Tax Cut Politics

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Sat May 12 09:37:07 PDT 2001

Is there some technical objection to what, to me, seems an obviously appealing demand -- for straightforward abolition of the FICA and Medicare taxes, and financing of Social Security and MC out of income taxes?

I understand that that would be a political departure. But a political departure, under the right circumstances would be a way to attract support to a progressive position. But is there some complexity of implementation that I don't get?

Why haven't progressives put forward this seemingly obvious and clear demand, which would lead to a drastic reduction in most people's tax burden and a democratization of the tax structure?

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema