Just Wars

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Sat May 12 11:33:16 PDT 2001

Yoshie:

> Why do you think it is a case of reification to regard standards of
> justice -- including what human beings think of as just & unjust
> conduct within war, just & unjust wars, etc. -- as historically
> evolving, being products of social struggles (or social relations)?
> I rather think that the principle of "non-violence" _at all costs_ is
> a case of "phantom objectivity."
================ But that is not what you wrote in your first post. You merely posted one word with no context, leaving me and others with lots of surplus meaning to play off of. Of course the standards change; they are changed by people. The problem is there has been no "moral" "progress", by that I mean, minimally, a significant diminution of violence through historical time. Non-violence is what I would regard as an historically "determined" metahistorical norm that should be striven for at all times and places. Included in that is the recognition that one cannot relinquish the responsibility to refrain from inaugurating violence against another person and that no person may command or otherwise coerce/persuade another to forgo that responsibility. This is not to deny that there are fetters on it's universalizability. But the fetters are in each of us, not some other non-human "power". Institutionalized roles and classes do not ameliorate the issue. Somebody somewhere is always the inaugurator of violence. It is how we deal with the ethics of that choice, for that choice is always a choice irrespective of constraints and I don't deny that there are always constraints, more than the subsequent behavior--even though that is every bit as problematic-- that we need to focus our capacities for learning from history.

If we have no such responsibility that is "independent" of institutionalized roles and classes, though not history, if non-violence is not a norm worth universalizing then what is the point of even attempting to discuss just wars, victors justice; and the like; especially if we are free to determine whatever standards we feel like whenever we feel like it, if "capriciousness trumps" as a Viet Nam vet put it to me in grad school. All such theorizing would be just so much "whining" especially if cynicism was the prevailing cultural "ethos." With god being dead and all aren't we really "off the hook?" Do we only want the law and the ones with the bigger stick, gun bomb, space shield, panopticon etc. to intimidate us into restraining ourselves? These are deep problems for moral realists, historicists and eliminativists and I don't pretend to have any answers.

Ian