"Violence" as a Useless Category, was Re: Just Wars

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Sat May 12 18:06:32 PDT 2001

> Ian Murray wrote:
> >

> > Having problems with the meanings of nominalism again Carrol :-)?
> >

> Yup. I'm on a slippery slope I know. But in one of the Dialogues
> Socrates compares a dialectician to a carver -- the good carver divides
> the meat at the joints rather than splintering the bones. And I rather
> think that "violence" as a category splinters a good number of bones and
> misses a number of joints.
>
> Carrol
========== It's interesting how slippery slope "sorites" arguments took off in ethical discourse via Protagoras and his merry brand of pranxterz. The debate has been going on ever since with no let up in sight.

The questions for our time aren't about carving that meat, it's about understanding how to create new forms of nourishment; a neo-Epicurean ecology of emotions, administrative competences, food systems, conflict resolution forums, architectures/homes that fuse living systems with "advanced" "forms" of "matter" etc......a happy type of microbial micropolitics based on a respect for the plasticity and incontinence of space-time and each other.

Ian