political musings of the day

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 13 07:34:34 PDT 2001

Joanna Sheldon wrote:

> Oh, give it up, Jordan -- of course not! As you can tell from the rest of
> what I wrote.
>

> >But you and the nudging ... that's okay?

Actually, yes. I would disapprove of her nudging him -- but it would be a mere personal act and would not have the deeply corrupting political force that formal executions have.

The death penalty is merely a way of creating smoke to trigger the aphorism where there's smoke there's fire: that is to enhance the illusion that "evil" is grounded in personal acts and that crime rather than capital is the enemy.

Carrol