Fisk on the arms trade

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 13 19:18:27 PDT 2001

Ian Murray wrote:

> Published on Saturday, May 12, 2001 in the New Zealand Herald
> Dealers in Death - A Visit to an Arms Bazaar
> by Robert Fisk
>

> It seems useless to listen any more. They are unstoppable, unarguable, impossible.
>
> The merchants sell death in the form of protection, killing as defence, as God's
> will, human destiny, patriotic duty. The bills - human and financial - come later.

So? I don't see how these merchants are any worse than GM, Nike, Morgan Stanley, Kohls, Nabisco, Bob Evans, etc. A commodity is a commodity. Capitalism is capitalism. I think I rather agree with Shaw's take on it in whichever play dealt with an arms manufacturer. As long as they sell to any one who has the money they are as honest as any other capitalist. Perhaps some of the arms will filter back to Venezuela, which will probably need them.

Carrol