Funding Social Security from General Funds

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon May 14 02:17:02 PDT 2001

IMO general fund financing is exactly the wrong way to go. We could say what defines the status of being a 'have-not' is the lack of wealth. Social insurance with its attendant legally explicit rights is a form of wealth -- for most the only sort they will ever have. Anything that supports the idea of rights to wealth is preferable. In financial terms, that means dedicated revenues and segregated funds. Politically it means a plausible relationship between what you pay and what you get.

The implication is that the tax should remain separate. I would go further and transform the Trust Fund into one with real financial assets. I think this would be more difficult to raid. The change would be more apparent in light of 'carve-out' schemes being hatched now by the Bush Admin.

I don't think any change will affect current retirees. But changes are likely to affect those more than ten years away from retirement, which incidentally includes my own sorry ass.

You can still do payroll tax relief without touching the payroll tax itself. In fact, Congress is doing it right now, albeit on the crumb level as a way to facilitate Bush's tax plan.

If the Dems had a brain they would focus on this. That goes for my furschlugginer employer too.

mbs

I want to think about this for some time. You should realize that I am dependent on Social Security, and have a stake in its survival.

Thus, I would fear anything that would divide those groups defending and supporting Social Security. So, I might oppose even a good idea out of caution.

Second. There is the opinion on this list that government is merely the executive arm of the ruling class. I think Doug has said that. So, why wouldn't the ruling class finally determine how general funds are allocated? As I see it, the ruling class has been forced to attack the special funding of Social Security with weird arguments (based on

"you can't trust the government" [but we can trust the

ruling class, eh?],

"the trust fund isn't there, it has been spent, gasp!"

"it's unfair to poor blacks, who earn little and die young

before they can enjoy their benefits" [watch out when the

Right starts bleeding sympathy for poor blacks]. Which makes me think Roosevelt did something unusually clever in structuring Social Security to survive in a hostile environment.

I want to think about this.

-- John K. Taber