Approval and Condemnation: Must they be based on Morality?

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon May 14 12:29:13 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox:
> This assumption that any word of approbation or approval is necessarily
> a moral proposition referring to a "moral order" is merely itself a
> manifestation of the power of moralism. But while Gordon (on lbo-talk)
> was probably being facetious in his references to god in his response,
> he should have been deadly serious. ...

On the contrary, I was quite serious, although possibly not quite deadly (enough).

For some reason, human beings, needing God, are born into a world in which God is materially absent. Therefore, they must find or create God (or the gods, or Nature, or reality -- Nietzche's God-in-the-grammar).

Hence this contradiction: almost everyone says there is a moral order, or acts as if one exists, but nobody can agree on its contents or point out a material basis for its existence and features. We have no choice but to gesticulate and insist that the shadows we produce are revealing the walls of a mighty edifice.