judicial tyranny

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon May 14 14:29:34 PDT 2001

Actually, there had been a number of cases, albeit less than earthshaking areas, where Rehnquist or Scalia had gone against corporate interests based on principle. Early on in his SC career, Rehnquist was actually a pretty consistent judicial restraint guy - he basically let governments do whatever they wanted. He dissented from extending protections against discrimination to women or to other oppressed groups, but he also dissented from extending first amendment protection to corporations in the early commercial speech cases.

Somewhere along the line, maybe as he was joined by conservative judicial activists like Scalia and Thomas, there was a hardening into opportunistic political intervention. There were a lot of bad conservative legal decisions over the years, but usually on procedural matters or legislative interpretations, but the last couple of years have seen an acceleration in massive judicial intervention striking down federal and state laws that I think is qualitatively different.

Maybe Justin or Charles would disagree, but I don't think in even the relatively recent past there was quite the same concentration of massively activist decisions as the Burma law, Kimel, Morrison, Garrett, and other decisions we have seen just in the last year or so.

So there is something shockingly new, especially when Bush v. Gore is thrown into the mix. Remember, all the smart political money, including on the Right, was that the Court would refuse to take the case. Even conservatives like Robert Bork thought the injunction by the Court stopping the vote count was a complete betrayal of principle, especially by the conservative majority.

-- Nathan newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Perelman" <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 4:58 PM Subject: Re: judicial tyranny

Nathan, I assume you mean shocked, as in shocked, shocked. The court has been pretty consistent in coming down on the side that is convenient for the most powerful corporate interests.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu