judicial tyranny

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue May 15 08:13:35 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com>

>Not me. Judicially, I'm very conservative. I opposed the invention of a
>Right to Die, for example. I think plain statutory text ought to be
>respected, even when I think] it is upgefukt. That is why I am not upset by
>the medical marihjuana decision taken in itself. --jks

I agree with Justin on these points; to make myself clear, the problem with the decision is that the majority has so inconsistently declared that the federal government has no valid constitutional role in regulating guns near schools or rape but somehow has an unequestioned right to regulate marijuana. Their federalism distinctions are a complete farce. I actually support the basic supremacy of federal law over state law as the only reasonable position. Politicians elected from various states can easily defend the perogatives of state governments over various areas of law if the people decide they prefer states rather than the feds having jurisdiction over an area of law. The courts are unneeded and illegitimate in this area.

-- Nathan