Judicial Review, Judicial Restraint, Judicial Activism and Rights

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue May 15 11:25:15 PDT 2001

You'll never catch me using the term "judicial activist" or "judicial restraint," except for rhetorical purposes. I agree with Nathan that these terms are meaningless. I said I was judicially "conservative," which means, in my terms, that I think we should respect plain text for democratic reasons, and be modest about judicial lawmaking, except to defend democratic and minority rights, for the same reasons. Leo asks me what I think, on this view about the Griswold-Roe-Casey line of privacy cases. Today, I think they are entrenched precedent. Were they rightly decided at the time? Well, I think the case can be made that a woman's right to choose is a fundamental democratic right. I would have written the case law in terms of equal protection, myself, rather than appealing to unenumerated privacy rights. As for the Ninth Amendment, as a matter of, it's meaningless. Let's hope it stays that way.

--jks