Judicial Review, Judicial Restraint, Judicial Activism and Rights

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue May 15 15:42:18 PDT 2001

The short answer to the question about why the burden isn't there is because the courts have been silent onthe 9A for more than 200 years. Since it's not evident what it means onits face, and there is no body of predecent interpreting it, it's a dead letter. So in part is the privileges and immunities clause of the 14th A, which, however, was largely deliberately gutted bvy the post-Reconstruction Court, and apart from the right to travel and a few others, is now nothing on which you can rely. --jks