Ashcroft's prayer circle

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Tue May 15 17:33:04 PDT 2001

This makes sense. If you read religious right publications you can see how anxious they are that reality is changing before their eyes and they seem unable to do much about it despite winning elections.

David Hearne wrote:

> Looking over the article, I would have to say that people working
> under Ashcroft are more worried about losing influence than religious
> freedom.

But this is too optimistic:

> A bit too much concern is expressed over the religious right. I'm as
> guilty of this as anyone.

It is just when they feel threatened that they are liable to do the most dangerous things, use their institutional power to attack civil liberties, etc. It is now, when their social psychological base is ebbing, that we should be most forceful about them.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema