Mary Jane

j.f. noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Tue May 15 19:24:47 PDT 2001

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Family Research Concil vomited up:

> v. Oakland Cannabis Buyers' Cooperative that a federal law
> classifying marijuana as illegal has no exception for ill
> patients. Writing for the court, Justice Clarence Thomas
> wrote, "It is clear from the text of the [Controlled
> Substances Act] that Congress has made a determination that
> marijuana has no medical benefits worthy of an exception."
> Justice Thomas continued,

I wanted to ask the lawyers if this is actually true. I am familliar with the DEA "Scheduling" system and I understand the difference between a Sched I and Sched II drug. But who actually does the scheduling, Congress or the DEA? IOW, were marijuana and heroin specifically named S-I by Congress, or by the DEA under COngress's legislation?

In more recent history, when Ecstacy was scheduled, did Congress do it or the DEA?

Joseph Noonan Houston, TX jfn1 at msc.com