Gore vs. Third Way

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 08:36:56 PDT 2001

Here's an editorial from the so called "Progressive Policy Institute", which praises Third Wayism

This one disses ol' Gore for being too "left wing", accusing him of of the sin of "fighting big corporations" on behalf of "working families"---I know Gore would fight no such thing in reality, but this is a SIN? I hold no illusions of Gore being some sort of Class Warriror as he was billed, which is why I voted McReynolds, so I find this accusation by the New Democrats against Gore rather amusing....KRD

http://www.ppionline.org/ppi_ci.cfm?knlgAreaID=128&subsecid=187&contentid=3361

Editorial May 10, 2001 The Third Way After Clinton Will Marshall

"Last year, however, the Third Way's momentum received its first serious check when Vice President Al Gore failed to hold the White House for the Democrats. A key factor in that defeat was Gore's peculiar decision to discard the New Democrat formula that had worked so well in 1992 and 1996. Instead of proposing a second wave of modernizing ideas intended to build on the New Democrat successes of the past eight years, Gore recast himself as an old fashioned populist fighting big corporations on behalf of working class families and his party's traditional interest groups.

So even had Gore won, Democrats would still have to grapple with the question that confronts them today: Whether to stay the course of centrist, Third Way reform or go back to the left-wing and constituency group-oriented politics that characterized the party before Clinton. As Democrats make the painful adjustment to their new status as the opposition party (the last time the Republicans controlled both the White House and Congress was in 1954), it is not yet clear which tendency will prevail. "