judicial tyranny

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed May 16 14:17:23 PDT 2001

OK, take the medical marijuana decision. I think that a court's job in statutory interpretation is to track the intent of the legislature. Do you think Congress intended there to be an unexpressed, implicit exception to the prohibitions in 21 USC about controlled substances, in the case of marijuana, where there are express exceptions in the cases of morphine or methadone, for example? Not a fucking chance. This isn't political. The 9C wasn't dumb; it was a respectable opinion. But it was wrong. This isn't politics. It's law. --jks