Ashcroft's prayer circle

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 16 20:00:34 PDT 2001

Chip Berlet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I abhor Ashcroft and his prayer circle, but some of the
> comments about Christianity on this thread have been
> ludicrous. Remember the abolition movement? Largely a
> Christian social/political movement. Remember the civil
> rights movement? Largely a Christian social/political
> movement. Blacks in the civil rights movement were
> overwhelmingly active Christians. Where would the
> anti-interventionist movement speaking up for justice in
> Central America be if it were not for radical Catholics?

Most of the people I have worked with politically lately have been Christians -- but working with Christians does not change my opinion of Christianity and more than their working with an atheist changes their opinion of atheism. Fortunately, it is only ultimately, not day by day, or even decade by decade, that theory and practice coincide. It's been over 50 years since I read _For Whom the Bell Tolls_, but does not the Catholic wife of the Mayor of the town, face the Falangist firing squad with words, Long Live My Husband, who is Mayor of this Town, or something like that. His last words, I believe, had been Long Live the Republic.

Carrol

Carrol