Ashcroft's prayer circle

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 16 21:42:41 PDT 2001

Ian Murray wrote:

> ===========
> Aren't practices and ideas just co-sedimented in historical time? I'm
> looking at Butler, Laclau and Z's "Contingency, Hegemony, Universality
> [hey it was cheap :-)] and dadgummit they're on to something....

"Historical time" includes at least several hundred thousand years -- several hundred thousand years _before_ homo sapiens even appeared. When we first discover ourselves as human we are already deeply engaged in practices that have their root in homo erectus, homo habilis, australopithecus erectus . . . .Our thought comes into being, historically and biologically, as a precipitant of our practice.

And this continues to be so in the present. The secret of treating the present as history lies in seeing the priority of practice to theory.

Carrol