Spitting into the Pacific, was Re: judicial tyranny

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 17 06:46:18 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>This is funny. Were all of us who disagree with Nathan to switch over
>tonight to vigorous compromising with the DP, the political waters of
>this nation would be about as ruffled as would the Pacific if someone
>spit into to it. That is, if Nathan's proposed strategy were workable,
>it would have already worked. So why does he bother to preach to this
>list? Even if he persuades anyone, he won't have made any difference.

Like I've said many times, Nathan makes this argument better than just about anybody I've ever read. But your subjunctive is wrong, Carrol - the compromising with the DP is pretty standard on the U.S. "left." Aside from some hardcore sectarians and cranks (among which I number myself), most vote Dem.

Doug