judicial tyranny

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu May 17 07:21:03 PDT 2001

>The distinction is that law as a rational system is under a specific
>rule to be both consistent and free from self-contradiction. Politics
>is under no such proscription.
>
>Chuck Grimes

True about politics, but "the life the the law has been experience, not logic," as one of its great oracles (Holmes) once said. That is not an excuse for the Rehnquist court: Holmes meant we shouldn't deduce the law from a priori principles, not that we should impose our personal preferences as law. In fact, Holmes is the chief advocate of the judical conservatism that I espouse: let the legislature decide. --jks _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com