judicial tyranny

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Thu May 17 07:43:16 PDT 2001

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Justin Schwartz wrote:

> Sure it could. Congress gets to decide how to reduce (or, if it chooses, to
> increase) human suffering. We in the judicial branch just interpret what
> Congress says.

And interpret if the law is Constitutional, no?

> I can't go to the judge and say, hey, judge! I have a great
> idea to reduce human suffering. Let me write it up, and you issue the
> opinion!

Someone I thought that is what the MPAA and the RIAA did when they got their IP rulings. "Hey judge, this technology threatens my bottom line, we've written up an opinion, so issue it."

But then I'm a cynic.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ What is the producer in actual society? Nothing. What should he be? Everything.

-Pierre-Joseph Proudhon