Ashcroft's prayer circle

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Thu May 17 07:21:20 PDT 2001

Maybe I should have used another word. I meant that to many liberals/radicals the SotM has so grandiose and seductively compelling an appeal, and beguiles them into a kind of unthinking sentimentality.

Just looked at the OED. Another definition is "Alluring by false show of beauty or richness; showily attractive. Now often applied to the style of a painter or writer."

I also would disclaim any particular interest in "the purveyor" except as a construct in human minds. I'm anything but a biblical scholar, and what I've read of the historical Jesus scholarship leaves me with the impression of huge effort going into inquiry about sources so obscure that any outcome must be barren.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema