Ashcroft's prayer circle

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu May 17 11:45:11 PDT 2001

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >If you go back through the LBO archives you should be able to find a
> >number of replies from Yoshie and me to Zizek's silly question about how
> >to explain all the weird things people do.
>
> Right. Humans are so transparent. You can tell exactly how they'll
> think from how they act, and how they act from...what was it Carrol?
> I forget now.
>
> Doug

Okay, here's another tack. Look at all the weird trajectories a single leaf takes when it falls to the earth! Clearly a through understanding of gravity must be able to provide a precise mathematical representation of this single object's movement. In fact, we're doing a pretty good job if we can identify typical patterns of falling objects in general. If we focus solely on the "weird" individual, we run the risk of missing the general pattern. That's my beef with Z. bringing up this "weird" behavior thing here.

Miles