judicial tyranny

David Welch david.welch at st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk
Thu May 17 13:27:06 PDT 2001

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 04:00:34PM -0400, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> >CB: Do you mean that all formal logics like legal reasoning or mathematics
> develop inherent paradoxes and can't be completely consistent with respect
> to their fundamental principle of non-contradiction ?
> >

> Wasn't that Goedel?

Hardly, Goedel showed that formal, mathematical systems of sufficent strength (e.g. first order logic with axioms for multiplication, addition and induction) contain sentences that are true but unprovable and in particular their own consistency is unprovable. Goedel's result was of historical significance because Hilbert's program required proofs of consistency to justify the innovations in mathematics at the turn of century (principally set theory), most modern mathematicians (I assume) are happy to do mathematics without worrying about consistency at all.