Advice

kelley kelley at interpactinc.com
Thu May 17 22:21:47 PDT 2001

>i also would like an academic job. i am not very good at much else, plus
>i don't like following others' orders (and don't do it very well) or
>getting up in the morning for a 9 to 5. the idea of not being able to get
>an academic job makes me a little nervous since this is exactly why i
>went into a grad program.
--name withheld

Well, in a discussion abt our grad program's imminent death, this is what someone wrote on the list for grads. Our dept deserves to die if we produce this kind of attitude. Not to mention that I actually had to explain to a ABD colleauge _why_ the notion that grads should finish in 5 yrs is a ludicrous standard for a program where we're expected to be full-time AND teach 20 hrs a week AND, typically, do a qualitative research project which requires field work.

i asked permission to use it as a sig quote.

kelley