judicial tyranny

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri May 18 07:56:13 PDT 2001

I was saying off list to Reese, who asked what were the other four when I said that Plessy was one of the five worst S.Ct cases, that Dred Scott was one, but that in fact Taney was dead right about the original intent, and from a legal point of view, his opinion is careful and well-reasoned; it is legally defensible, though horribly wrong. My other candidates were Lochner, Dennis (which Charles likes), and Bush v. Gore, which cleraly the worst of the lot, legally speaking. Nathan voted for the Civil Rights Cases, which gutted the Civil Rights Acts of 1875, and there's something to be said for that; one might add Hans v. Louisiana, which gave us out ureent 11th Amendment states right jurisprudence.

--jks