Natural Capitalism

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Fri May 18 15:52:15 PDT 2001

http://www.naturalcapitalism.org/sitepages/pid9.asp What was William Greider thinking of? Bill McKibbin? Here is ex-President Clinton, http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/lnl/stories/s119690.htm The new book "Natural Capitalism" has been strongly endorsed by President Bill Clinton who has been urging business audiences to read it. Clinton has said that Natural Capitalism proves "beyond argument that there are presently available technologies, and those just on the horizon, which will permit us to get richer by cleaning, not by spoiling, the environment."

Ex-President Carter on the Lovins, http://www.google.com/search?q=Amory+and+Hunter+Lovins+Jimmy+Carter Arrgh, Utne Reader writer, Jay Walljasper, http://www.alternet.org/print.html?StoryID=9966 Michael Pugliese P.S. Jimmy Carter on Abbie Hoffman, http://free.freespeech.org/yippie/quotes.htm "Abbie Hoffman is something akin to an American prophet." - President Jimmy Carter. " Carter on Bob Dylan, http://www.willjohnston.com/articles/5_4_74law_day.htm My own interest in the criminal justice system is very deep and heartfelt. Not having studied law, I've had to learn the hard way. I read a lot and listen a lot. One of the sources for my understanding about the proper application of criminal justice and the system of equity is from reading Reinhold Niebuhr, one of his books that Bill Gunter gave me quite a number of years ago. The other source of my understanding about what's right and wrong in this society is from a friend of mine, a poet named Bob Dylan. After listening to his records about "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" and "Like a Rolling Stone" and "The Times, They Are a Changing," I've learned to appreciate the dynamism of change in a modern society.

I grew up as a landowner's son. But, I don't think I ever realized the proper interrelationship between the landowner and those who worked on a farm until I heard Dylan's record, "I Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More." So I come here speaking to you today about your subject with a base for my information founded on Reinhold Niebuhr and Bob Dylan.

One of the things that Niebuhr says is that the sad duty of the political system is to establish justice in a sinful world. He goes on to say that there's no way to establish or maintain justice without law; that the laws are constantly changing to stabilize the social equilibrium of the forces and counterforces of a dynamic society, and that the law in its totality is an expression of the structure of government.