identifying with the enemy

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat May 19 10:08:49 PDT 2001

>I think her position was "weird" from the point of view of material
>self-interest, but that doesn't mean I think it's weird or
>irrational in the sense you're taking it, nor do I think that people
>generally run their lives on material self-interest. A
>psychoanalyst, amateur or professional, assumes that behavior that
>looks weird on the surface makes a lot of sense when you look at the
>personal history behind it.
>
>Doug

First of all, understanding material self-interest is no simple matter. Even here, I mean among a bunch of avowed leftists, we had a debate on whether racism is in the interest of white workers. To understand that racism is against the interest of not just workers of color but also white workers as well, one must have a conviction (backed up by theory) that (A) white workers, too, are part of the working class & thus have surplus value extracted from their labor power by capital; and that (B) the working class have a collective self-interest. Neither A nor B is self-evident on the basis of appearances (as opposed to a theoretical understanding) of capitalism. So, it is no wonder if a bartender in Toronto, who is not employed by Bill Gates & thus is not directly subordinated to him, thinks that she has nothing against him. As far as she is concerned, men like Bill Gates might give her bigger tips than Carrol Cox or Doug Henwood!

Yoshie