Bankers and the United State of Europe

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun May 20 16:12:57 PDT 2001

At 19/05/01 18:47 -0700, you wrote:
>So do we trust these bankers?

Only to the extent that we can rely on them fairly consciously to pursue their class interest!

Their class interest is that of finance capitalism, not of industrial capitalism or even medium capitalism.

They are not opposed to some degree of monopoly and some degree of state regulation of capitalism so long as it is in their interests.

It is the smaller and medium capitalists who have been backing Hague's Little England type of Conservatism. Although the majority of people in England are against joining the Euro, Hague cannot get anywhere in the current general election campaign by banging on about national sovereignty.

His share of the opinion polls seems to be stuck at a bare one third, and perhaps even lower than that. There is a wide perception that his party no longer represents a serious party of government.

Chris Gent, head of Vodafone, Britain's biggest mobile telephone company, has expressed his concern about Hague's refusal to enter the Euro on principle for the life of the next Parliament. And Gent was the former head of the Young Conservatives.

The article Ian quoted, correctly puts its finger on the problem of rational capitalist planning - what to do about the economic irregularities in a large market and the effect of transport costs. A key feature or the European Union was that is has explicit policies for pumping capital out from the centre to the periphery. This was severely shaken by German unification when the German economy had to divert massive sums of money to the "new" federal states, ruined by a currency union at parity. Still there is some regional policy.

The problems of Britain joining the Euro are small by comparison with a number of countries of Eastern Europe joining. Nevertheless even though certain forms of economic union may be unequal, they can still be more beneficial than competition. This problem is faced with every issue of workers solidarity.

As for states, that zealous Marxist, Lenin, himself noted "From their daily experiences the masses know perfectly well the value of geographical and economic ties, and the advantage of a big market and a big state." (1914 The Right of Nations to Self Determination) [I quote Lenin and Marx particularly in order to get my retaliation in first against left opportunists who cripple our ability to use marxism intelligently and practically in present conditions.

As for trusting bankers, of course not!

But "Only those who are not sure of themselves can fear to enter into temporary alliances even with unreliable people." ("What is to be Done?")

The overall reason for backing a United States of Europe, is that it is in the interests of the people of the world to have a counterweight to the hegemonism of the USA. It is essential to break that hegemonism, and ironically the fall of the "communist " bloc provides an opportunity for doing so.

True, Europe cannot but act in an imperialist way, but on its own it cannot impose a new hegemonism. Under certain situations it may therefore unite with more progressive global forces to weaken US imperialism, so long as this is not too conspicuous.

We need to call the Old World of Europe into existence to redress the balance of the New.

And to look for opportunities for further advance....

Chris Burford

London