The new, New Historicism

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Sun May 20 17:09:02 PDT 2001

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v23/n10/simp2310.htm New historicism's opponents have not been slow to find fault with this commitment to particularities, seeing in it a symptom of leftist disillusionment, an evasion of the challenges posed by feminism and the women's movement, and a head-in-the-sand attitude to the movement's own historical identity as, for example, the purveyor of a history of the early British Empire (Shakespeare and all) which has remained incurious about the doings of the American empire of the present day. New historicism's preference for Foucault over Marx, discourse over class and ideology (the latter again criticised here by Catherine Gallagher as a sort of fetish), metaphors of circulation and exchange - 'social energies' - over those of cause and effect, and almost anything over Derrida and the challenge of radical deconstruction, seemed to many to be a rather too comfortable rehabilitation of old pleasures in the face of what came to be known as Theory. At the same time, there was and is a foxiness to new historicism, which threatens its critics with the hint (sometimes more than a hint) that all this has been thought about and dismissed for good reason, or already taken care of. Is this true, or just finessing? Who might tell, and how? Can we have 'devices of doubt' along with the pleasures of 'real presence' without creating hermeneutic turmoil? Can we enjoy our acts of reading, and the 'pastness' we meet with in them, without suffering too much anxiety? [snip]