Founding myths of capitalism....

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 20 23:39:26 PDT 2001

--- Justin Schwartz <jkschw at hotmail.com> wrote: > >
> Locke's theory of
> "value" is too underdeveloped to count. He was interested in property
> entitlements, and argued that (1) I own my body and its labor, and (2) I
> therefore own what I "mix" my labor with, as long as (a) no one else has
> mixed their labor with it first, and (b) I leave enough and as good for
> others. Self-ownership is not a crazy theory, although it is a peculiar and
> rather bourgeois way of thinking about one's relationship to one's self and
> its activities--as a property right. --jks

I've often found that it's possible to gain an afternoon's amusement at the expense of Lockeans by claiming that the "mixing" provision of his theory of property has the implication that all people should actually be considered to be the property of their mothers.

dd

===== ... in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is more difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to inaugurate it. -- Bertrand Russell