Yale for Sale

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon May 21 08:34:09 PDT 2001

There are at least two kinds of people at the Ivies. One--not a mjority, but a substantial minority--is "legacy" admits like W, who are often, not alwys, more or less good natured dolts. At my alma, Tigertown, a legacy (child of an alum) has a 40% chance of admission, as opposed to about 10% for a normal applicant. This does not apply only to the rich, but I imagine it cannot hurt your chances if Dad has a fortune to donate for a new Engineering Building. The other kind of person are the normal admits, some small percentage of which are reallly brilliant. Three of my friends from college--no, four--have won McArthur grants, in all but one case, for really amazing achievement. Most of us, rich and middle class alike, are just small beer, of course, neither extraordinarily brilliant not especially accomplished. --jks