Hardt & Negri's *Empire*

GGordonLippy at aol.com GGordonLippy at aol.com
Mon May 21 22:13:36 PDT 2001

I was hoping for a less underwhelming response to my solicitation for comments on this fascinating new book. So, maybe a question to get the ball rolling: Are we in a transition from a world order of nation states regulating the world economy to one that's characterized by business power, freed from national governance, dictating policy to its subordinate states? (e.g. WTO superseding national environmental regulations; corporations suing localities and states for "restraint" of trade under WTO agreements, or NAFTA). My own response is a clear yes; old analyses of imperialism are, have long been, inadequate. This transition isn't complete, but I agree with H&N that its' irreversible. So my question (and one of the opening questions of the book) is, what is the *nature* (or *constitution*) of this new order? How are we to grasp it POLITICALLY? How do we think beyond the "TINA" response and articulate a politics of liberation vis a vis the oppressive regimes of globalization?