"Dirty Money" Foundation of U.S. Growth and Empire

DMJ djenning at subdimension.com
Tue May 22 05:34:37 PDT 2001

> Although, obviously, the seignorage revenue earned on the >50% of U$
> cash held outside the USA is part of the picture, and you can make a
> defensible case that the status of the greenback as a global reserve
> currency has something to do with its importance for the global "cash
> economy".

OK, please bear with me: What is 'seignorage'? Also, what do you mean by 'has something to do with'? Are you saying that somebody could argue that the US$ is (in part, of course) a global reserve currency because of its place in the 'cash economy', or that its place in the 'cash economy' is due to its status as a global reserve currency? I would love to hear the argument one way or another, even if you don't entirely buy it.

Meanwhile, I'm going to play like a journalist and try and track this Raymond Baker down. Here's his congressional testimony from '99, btw:

http://www.brook.edu/views/testimony/baker/19991110.htm

-david