Hardt & Negri on lbo-talk

GGordonLippy at aol.com GGordonLippy at aol.com
Tue May 22 17:24:06 PDT 2001

On previous postings: I've been through the various discussions (at least Dec or Jan to Feb) and for the most part I've found them rather disappointing; like their predecessors Deleuze and Guitari, Hardt and Negri seem to provoke a lot of knee-jerk responses, especially of the sort where one takes a questionable fragment from the text and uses it to dismiss the work out of hand without ever really engaging with it. That's an easy thing to do (so much to read, anyway), as I well know from my own experience. But I think it would be a shame if the lbo discussion of *Empire* were, as someone on the list sort of said, already played out. I think there's a lot to be gained from seriously considering the argument. On the other hand, I'm rather biased. I'd read some of D&G and found some exciting ideas, but ultimately you have to be put off by their eradication of the subject. So it's been exciting to see Empire attempt to assert (restore? eh...) a political subject to the social field. Contrary to many of the arguments (assertions?) on the list, Hardt and Negri seem to me to have brought some sober judgements to subject-eradicating "post-structuralist" thinking (I'm thinking of where they say they want to take Foucault), plus a real clarity in assessing the post-post-post obsessions of academia. I would surely enjoy, and learn a lot from, further discussions with anyone, for or against or simply curious.

Now I have to go read Bartcop or Suck.com; I'm way over my brainpower limit for the day.

GGordonLippy (pk grunden)