Marc Cooper blasts saboteurs!

j.f. noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Tue May 22 20:57:11 PDT 2001

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Bob Morris wrote:

> As I speak, Marc Cooper on KPFK, during the fund drive, is
> blasting "a small group of people" who are tying up the
> phone lines and making harassing calls, saying that the
> charge that KPFK has sold out and is indistinguishable from
> corporate America is "ludicrous". And that of all the radio
> stations in L.A. to attack, why attack KPFK, by far the most
> progressive station around.

Yeah, this from that fan of Mellowness and Serenity Fascist Jerry Brown and acolyte of Pat Caddell. Here's a note I just read from free-pac a few minutes ago. This guy should do us all a public service and retire to Antarctica (without a radio or net connection).

What happened to his much vaunted reverence for the Gag Rule?

Scum.

Joseph Noonan Houston, TX jfn1 at msc.com

----------------------------------------- -From tomedson at earthlink.net Tue May 22 22:50:11 2001 -Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 18:05:59 -0700 -From: Edson Thomas <tomedson at earthlink.net> -Subject: {FP} Marc Cooper's Bombast -Re: Marc Cooper attacks Pacifica Campaign with smear and - innuendo (May 22, 2001)

Marc Cooper, in a one-sided fit of pique conducted during the 4 p.m. fund-drive (5.22.01), denounced the members of the Pacifica Campaign as "saboteurs, commissars, and ding-a-lings." They are, according to Cooper, a "misguided group of 15 to 20, 25 to 50 people at most" who are not unlike the various former enemies of Pacifica--Republican conservatives, opponents of public radio, members of the far right--who have attempted time again to de-fund "free-speech" radio, and are alleging a corporate take-over of Pacifica. "I'm not angry. I'm appalled and disgusted," Cooper added. The "real listeners" to Pacifica, he intoned, "are standing up to defend this station. We're at war." Cooper lambasted the "few" who "sabotaged the phone lines. These geniuses tie up our lines because we're not pure enough for them. Well, that's their opinion, and they're entitled to it." Cooper then clearly implied, in his fair and judicious tone, that their opinion was the equivalent of believing the moon was made of green cheese. "Their real goal," he added, "was to keep you, our real listeners, from pledging."

Cooper continued his unilateral and decidedly vitriolic denunciation for nearly one-half hour. He repeatedly suggested that the boycott was equivalent to the host of other groups of neo-cons opposed to Pacifica during the last four decades. He repeatedly stated that Pacifica and/or KPFK was at "war" with these "useless" people, and called upon the real listeners to "crush" the boycott and "crush" those who were allegedly overwhelming the pledge phone lines. During the half-hour Cooper became increasingly agitated and confused; his normal banter and sense of humor were overwhelmed by his apparently mounting sense of frustration.

Cooper's characterization of the boycott and the opposition was entirely without merit, and he made no attempt to sort out the complex issues involved; he repeatedly and dramatically labeled all of the boycotters as "saboteurs," whose mission was to destroy this station (KPFK) and end its mission "of free-speech radio." The most alarming issue raised by Cooper's diatribe is the fundamental one that has bedeviled Pacifica free-speech supporters throughout the United States: how can Pacifica, and Marc Cooper, in particular, claim that Pacifica is the sole bastion of free-speech while at the same time preventing and suppressing the very voices that have raised reasonable and valid counter-critiques of the current Pacifica management? Cooper's performance this afternoon on KPFK demonstrated that Pacifica management is unable and unwilling to engage the opposition in a civil manner, and that Cooper et al. will not permit representation of opposing views on this station or any other Pacifica station.

Tom Edson Huntington Beach, CA

- /*This message comes via the freepac list. */