Ideology and "Psychology", was Re: identifying with the enemy

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed May 23 07:01:24 PDT 2001

Chip Berlet:
> Gritz, by all accounts, is not a personal anti-Black or
> anti-Asian racist in his interactions with others. He
> propounds theories rooted in White supremacist legal theory
> and antisemitic conspiracy theory. He is a political racist,
> not a personal racist. Thus he can talk about Jews and
> "Orientals" as part of the vast conspiracy and still be
> polite to Asians and Jews he meets on the street.
>
> The two can exist quite easily in a person.

I hadn't intended to become Gritz's lbo-talk advocate, especially since he was dragged in (as far as I can see) only to taint the POW/MIA myth and cult, but I have to note that, again, the material posted fails to make a case beyond guilt by association -- that is, Gritz is not quoted or described in an explicitly racist act or utterance, even in venues where such acts and utterances might be applauded. As far as I know, the only person we have noticed condemning an entire nation was Tim O'Brien. I don't know if this constitutes racism or not -- O'Brien may mentally exclude minorities as well as elites from the "public" who would then comprise only the great White trailer-trash residue, a pretty racial concept.

In any case, Gritz is almost completely irrelevant to the issues I was actually discussing, and perhaps the flogging has now earned him a rest.