Ashcroft's prayer circle

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Wed May 23 06:37:06 PDT 2001

I'm almost tempted to say they're different words for the same thing, except that there are other examples besides Christianity. The point is that a sado-masochism organized social-psychologically along lines of gender is specific to certain specific types of gender rôle definitions. Among them are definitions of fatherhood and motherhood that reached an extreme in the nineteenth-centuryt European and North American bourgeoisies. When characterological S/M (not, of course, S/M as a perversion -- whips, leather, etc.) came to need a name, the novelists, de Sade and von Sacher-Masoch, furnished the nomenclatural inspiration.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema