the post-literate society

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed May 23 10:13:06 PDT 2001

Homer probably couldn't read either...and yet, I don't think anyone would argue that it was a bad thing. We have some extraordinary "writing" from pre-literate days. I myself have been reading since age three, in three languages, an average of two books a week. And yet, I do not think it is something to be in awe of and I do not think that the habit of reading and consciousness are equivalent.

John Donne, an avid reader, remarked that he read in order to run away. Reading can be as much a drug as a video game or TV. What sort of consciousness do people have who read a historical romance every day? What sort of consciousness do people have who are so addicted to print that they have no relations to other human beings? I personally know both these kinds of people and I'll say categorically that reading does nothing for them nor for anyone else.

According to the article quoted reading has declined some 5% or so in the last decade. Not surprising. People have less time, they spend more time with computers, and education has declined. It's amazing to me that the decline in reading is as small as it is.

I'm not arguing against literacy and great literature. I just don't think it's the panacea people make it out to be.

Joanna Bujes