Fashion choices (was SUV's)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed May 23 10:29:24 PDT 2001

At 09:54 AM 5/23/01 -0700, joanna wrote:
>to explain the adolescent tendency to wear the uniform of the oppressed in
>every era: ethnic wear and army jackets in the sixties and early seventies,
>bag lady clothes in the eighties, ghetto huge dragging pants in the nineties?

Again, I think you are giving the brats too much credit. Most what they do fits one of the follwoing two categories:

1. trying to be popular among peers 2. trying to piss off everyone else, especially parents & teachers.

The popularity of the attributes you describe can be satisfactorily explained by these two factors - no subconscious is needed (remember Ockkam's razor?)

wojtek